There is a place in Aurangabad that has been completely forgotten by the inhabitants of the city and of course by the tourists, it is the citadel of Aurangzeb.
It is very difficult today to see the beauty and grandeur of the citadel.
In these two photos, we can see the size of the palace and its gardens.
In 1681, Aurangzeb decided to make Aurangabad capital of Mughal empire. To do this, he built an enclosing wall 10 kilometers in circumference with 52 entrance gates. He reserves part of the city which is a little elevated to make its citadel called Quil’a Ark.
The royal gate that allowed access to his palace still exists today is called Rangeen Gate.
The palace is very important because it was the government of the empire and all goverment legel things was decide within it, also wars and peace with neighbouring kingdoms. The palace is not of a special structure, simplicity that will rhythm the life of Aurangzeb but one can see that the gardens respect the Mughal tradition with the water canals and the luxuriance of the trees and the plants.
The mosque is the emperor’s personal mosque. Built in the second half of the 17th century, it bears the title of Emperor, Alamgir.
The building itself is not a particularly important structure, but it has three oversized domes that overcome the prayer hall, leaving no doubt as to its meaning. The Alamgir mosque conforms to other royal mosques with three-part prayer halls triple domes, such as those to be seen in Agra and Delhi.
Of all the buildings that make up this area, only the Emperor’s personal mosque and the women’s mosque are still in good condition.
Unfortunately the palace is in an advanced state of decomposition which makes its visit impossible. The gardens have disappeared because of the ways for a government school.