The Soneri Mahal is the last palace, still in good condition in Aurangabad. The palace is located within the walls of the university.
It is immured in a garden with a massive rectangular door. This gate is called Hathikhana which means the place of the elephants.
The door is made of Islamic style arches.
Soneri Mahal means the Golden Palace (Mahal) (Soneri). That name comes from the original color of pure gold that adorned the interior.
This palace was built as a thought between 1651 and 1653, by a chief bundelkhan (region of India between Uttar Pradesh and Madya Pradesh).
We only have a few references on Paharsingh and his brother, Juzarsingh. We know that the latter was sent to Shah Jahan in the Deccan Valley to accompany Aurangzeb, the governor of the region. We know that the Soneri Mahal was the home of Paharsingh and his family. Paharsingh died in 1653.
The palace passed from hand to hand before becoming a regional museum in the 70s. Many changes were made to transform the palace into a museum and little remains of the original structure.
The first modification that can be seen and the creation of the basin which occurred in 2001 with the aim of harmonizing the places with surroundings. One can see the will of the conservative to make this garden a little more Mughal.
In the 70’s when the palace became a museum, the arches were closed with bricks and plaster. In the second room, one can admire the remains of the paintings that adorned the whole palace.
The museum tour ends in a room with stone statues depicting the various gods of Hinduism or Jainism. There is this room a wooden altar with a statue of Ganesh with three heads.